Add to favorites

Nazareth, the Holy Land

Ben Dor A.
Nazareth, the Holy Land
  • (worth a trip)
  • 1-2 km
  • Moderate
  • Average
  • 2 hours
  • 3 3

The city of Nazareth, as described in the New Testament, was the childhood home of Yeshua, hence abundant of religious shrines to commemorate biblical events were built there, making it one of the main Christian pilgrim sites in the Holy Land.

Nazareth, Israel
ME cuisine in local restaurants and food stalls.
A Hat, good walking shoes, water, camera, a Bible, proper attire for Holy places and goodwill are essentials for a fruitful visit.
Guided Tours (optional) from US$300/per day (9 hrs.)
Transportation, Entrance fees to various sites, tips and food are excluded.

Nazareth: Also known as “the Arab capital of Israel”. Most of the inhabitants are Muslims (70%) and the rest are Christian (30%).

 

The city, as described in the New Testament, was the childhood home of Yeshua, hence abundant of religious shrines to commemorate biblical events were built there, making it one of the main pilgrim sites in the Holy Land.

 

Nazareth is described as ‘a city of Galilee’ and home of Mary (Luke 1:26-31) as well as the site of the Annunciation (where the angel Gabriel informed her that she would give birth to Yeshua).

 

Around the 6th century, local Christians founded the Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation at the site of a freshwater spring, today known as Mary’s Well.

 

The church was destroyed by the Parthians in the year 614 when they invaded and occupied the Holy Land.

 

In 1099, during the 1st Crusade, Tancred captured Galilee and established his capital in Nazareth.

 

In 1263, Baybars, the Mamluk Warlord, demolished all the Christian buildings in Nazareth.

 

Dhaher al–Omar allowed the Franciscans to build a church on the ruins of the Crusader Church in 1730. That structure stood until 1955 when it was demolished to make way for a larger building completed in 1967.

 

The main attractions in Nazareth are:

  • TheChurch of the Annunciation which is the largest Catholic Church in the Middle East where according to Roman Catholic tradition indicates the site where Gabriel announced the future birth of Yeshua to Mary.
  • TheChurch of St. Gabriel is an alternative Eastern Orthodox site for the Annunciation near Mary’s Well.
  • TheSynagogue Church, a Melkite Greek Catholic Church at the traditional site of the synagogue where Yeshua preached (Luke 4) which is located inside the market near the Church of Annunciation.
  • The Joseph’s Church marks the traditional location for the workshop of Yeshua’s father Joseph.
  • TheJesus Trail a pilgrimage route that connects many of the religious sites in Nazareth on a 60 km walking trail ending at Capernaum.


Opening hours

09:00 - 17:00

How to get there

Bt Bus, Taxi or guided Tour.

More Pictures

  • Nazareth, the Holy Land
    Ben Dor A.
  • Nazareth, the Holy Land
    Ben Dor A.
  • Nazareth, the Holy Land
    Ben Dor A.
Nazareth, the Holy Land Nazareth, the Holy Land Nazareth, the Holy Land

Location: