If you’re craving some real Mexican food, we’ll give you some tips on how you can cook it from the comfort of your own home. But first, what exactly is Mexican food?
Traditional Mexican food is made of corn, beans, rice, and chiles, with an abundance of spices to bring flavors to each dish. Mexican dishes are also commonly loaded with cheese and sour cream.
Tacos, tostadas, and quesadillas, stuffed with meat, are excellent choices for people who love Mexican food. Yet Mexican food goes beyond tacos and quesadillas. There are a variety of Mexican dishes, and each meal is worth a try.
How do Mexicans cook their food?
If you love Mexican food and frequent Mexican restaurants to get your fill, why not try making the food yourself? All you need are the recipe, the right ingredients, spices, and proper kitchenware.
Traditional Mexican recipe
Cooking without a proper recipe can be challenging especially when you attempt to cook your favorite restaurant food. So if you are planning to cook, make sure you have the best recipes. Sure, you can get a lot of recipes online, but the most authentic ones are those handed down from generations in Mexican families.
If you have a Mexican friend or neighbor, ask them for a quick tutorial on Mexican cooking. Even better, why not make plans to watch the chefs of a good Mexican restaurant? With a little ingenuity and a sense of adventure, you can find a way to learn about the cooking methods of authentic Mexican cuisine.
The best Mexican food ingredients
The quality of ingredients you use makes a difference in preparing tasty dishes. So you must use the best meat, vegetables, and other raw ingredients. Bread is also typical in Mexican cooking. You can buy ready-made bread, but if you want to make your dishes more authentic, you should try making the bread from scratch.
Sauces are an important part of Mexican cuisine, so you need to get your salsa, mole, and chile sauces made perfectly. Most Mexican dishes generously use the sauces.
Mexican spices and flavor
Part of Mexican food’s charm is the delicious flavor and aroma that comes from various herbs and spices they use. The natural herbs and spices that contribute to that flavorful taste in Mexican cooking include cilantro, chili powder, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, anise, cocoa powder, garlic, onion, and chipotle powder. These spices turn even a simple dish of rice and beans into something delicious.
Mexicans have their favorite cooking equipment and utensils. Of course, you can use your ideal pots and pans for cooking. But it is interesting to know what Mexicans use to cook their delicious meals.
- Cazuelas or Mexican cooking pots are large, shallow clay dishes shaped like a bowl used for simmering sauces. Cooking in cazuelas enhances the flavor of the meal.
- Olla de Barros are large deep clay pots ideal for simmering soups, beans, and stews.
- Comal is a round griddle usually made of clay, cast iron, or aluminum. The more modern versions have a non-stick finish. A griddle or skillet is used to heat tortillas and roast chiles and vegetables.
- Molcajete y Tejolote or mortar and pestle is a small wood, stone, or clay bowl with an elongated cylinder of the same material as the bowl. It is used for grinding spices and small amounts of food like the corn used for making masa.
- Tortillero, commonly known as tortilla press, is originally made from wood. New versions are made of cast iron. A tortilla press consists of two large round plates or blocks of wood where you place a ball of masa, then press together to form a tortilla. If you want to check out what they look like click here.
- Wooden spoons which are typically used for stirring
Food presentation or plating up is an essential part of restaurant-style cooking. So if you want to recreate the café style foods, you must practice the art of plating. Be creative and present your dishes beautifully. Garnish them lavishly.
In many ways, Mexico’s cooking methods are very similar to what we use every day, such as frying, grilling, and boiling, and simmering. If you love delicious food and enjoy cooking, you will surely make the best traditional Mexican dishes in your kitchen. Give it a try today.